"Honest, direct, comprehensive, and practical."
--Bestselling author Mary Pipher
"Kelly Madigan Erlandson's book will help many who are beginning their trudge on the road to happy destiny."
--Christopher Kennedy Lawford, author of Symptoms of Withdrawal: A Memoir of Snapshots and Redemption
Already hailed as "a thoughtful and comprehensive guide to those early, crucial days of sobriety," this groundbreaking new book is different from anything else on the market. As an alcohol and drug counselor for more than 20 years who has helped thousands into recovery, the author does not focus on trying to diagnose the problem; instead, she compassionately guides you through the first 30 days of sobriety--the most crucial part of recovery.
She gives you practical, day-by-day advice for becoming and staying sober--from removing alcohol and alcohol-related items from your house to picking the recovery program that fits your needs.
|About the author|
Kelly Madigan Erlandson is a licensed alcohol and drug counselor who is in long-term recovery herself. Since 1985 she has worked at the Independence Center, a comprehensive, hospital-based treatment center. She has been awarded the Nebraska Arts Council's Distinguished Artist Award in nonfiction.
|Table of contents|
1. You Can Quit Drinking
2. The Dangers of Drinking Buddies
3. Clearing a Space: Emotionally and Physically
4. Making a Decision About Professional Treatment
5. What You Need to Know About A.A.
6. Preparing for Sobriety and Dealing With Cravings
7. Religious Traditions
8. Staying in Physical Balance
9. What to Drink once you are Sober
10. Emotional Aspects of Sobriety
11. How to Unwind without a Drink
12. How to Avoid Triggers
13. How to Use the Internet to Help You Stay Sober
14. Restoring Your Spirit
15. Notes About Failure
16. Seeing Beyond Thirty Days